Community Liaison - Queens Memory Program
Community Liaisons assist Queens Memory Program staff to identify members of the community that wish to take part in oral history interviews, donate personal and organizational papers to the archives and take part in Queens Memory events.
Once interviewed and accepted, we request a commitment of at least six months in this position. Duties include identifying and recruiting participants, helping them with the forms they need to complete, and coordinating with the Queens Memory team at Queens Library to make sure their submissions are complete.
Effective community liaisons will also spread the word about upcoming events and encourage people to visit queensmemory.org and digitalarchives.queenslibrary.org to explore the library's online collections.
Specific tasks include:
- Scheduling recording sessions for volunteers interested in creating an oral history interview for the Queens Memory Program
- Recruiting interviewees who have stories of living, working and/or going to school in the borough of Queens
- Coordinating with partner organizations (community centers, historical societies, schools, etc) to schedule interview projects with their members
Candidates must be:
- Minimum of 25 years old;
- Available to work from the Queens Memory offices in Jamaica, Queens at the Central Library
- Willing to travel occasionally to on-site meetings at community partner venues
- Able to effectively communicate with community members; in-person, on the phone and via email
- Fluent in English (written and oral); fluency in additional languages helpful but not mandatory;
- Available a minimum of 4 hours per week;
- Able to complete a minimum of 100 hours over a six month period;
- Comfortable speaking with others; friendly and outgoing
- Comfortable using Microsoft Excel and Word
Individuals, 18 and older are subject to an investigative background check that may be used when considering volunteers.
Click the "EXPRESS INTEREST" button and create a volunteer profile to get started! A valid email address is required to register.
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: