Lead a English Conversation Group
The Adult Learner Program is committed to providing adults free programs and services that address the educational needs of the diverse and changing population of Queens.
The library offers English Conversation Practice Groups, led by trained volunteers and held at neighborhood branches and online during the year. Weekly drop-in sessions offer reliable support to residents to strengthen their basic language and literacy skills through dialogue and activities using "real-world" topics and situations as a foundation.
Volunteers construct lessons that:
- Help to speak, understand, read, and write English
- Use English in real-life situations
- Strengthen vocabulary and grammar
- Teach about U.S. history and government
- Teach about health
- Teach basic technology skills
Participants range in comprehension level and include individuals who can understand simple learned phrases, express basic survival needs, and have some control of basic grammar, but are not fluent; and individuals who are fluent, can participate in conversations about everyday subjects, and have control of basic grammar.
The English Conversation Group Facilitator leads a small group session (max 10-12 participants) one day per week for 1.5-2 hours. Ideal candidates are:
- 18 years or older
- Must have a high school diploma or higher
- Be proficient in English
- Energetic, engaging, and respectful of others
- Must attend all trainings