Age Minimum (with Adult): 16+, Minimum Age:16+
Homework Assistants at Lefrak City 2019-20
Homework Assistants offer hands-on support to school-age children in our daily afterschool program, working with 1st through 8th graders to tackle daily homework and projects in a fun and interactive setting.
Under the supervision of a Homework Leader, Assistants reinforce classwork and help guide students towards applying previously learned strategies and information to find solutions to their assignments.
Homework Assistants receive training and resources to address a variety of topics and situations, including:
- Ways to Help Kids Find the Right Answer (without giving it to them)
- How to Manage Small and Larger Groups
- Helping Kids Transition from School to After-school
- How to Deal with the Helicopter Parent
- How to Encourage Independent Work without Walking Away
- How to Help Kids Prioritize Assignments
- Where to Find Resources to Assist Kids with Homework and Class Projects
Who Should Apply?This service project is ideal for individuals interested in (or participating) in careers related to education, teaching, community engagement, urban policy, child psychology, or social work; and seeking experience in direct service working with elementary and middle school students.
The position is open to anyone 16 years and older that matches the following criteria:
- Available Monday through Friday between 3:00pm-5:30pm
- Able to commit to a minimum of six (6) hours a week
- In-school Students: Posses at least a 3.0 GPA or 85% average. Out-of-school Adults: Posses prior experience working in a tutoring or related capacity
- Friendly and willing to work in a high energy and fast paced environment.
- Able to work as part of a team and share ideas to improve overall performance
- Minors must submit a signed parental consent form and valid working papers
- Adults must complete a criminal background check
Adults (not in school) - Please upload a copy of your resume and any supporting documents that demonstrate prior experience in a teaching or tutoring capacity working with elementary, middle and/or high school students. You may be asked to provide any professional certifications or license information.
Current High School / College / Graduate Students - Please upload a copy of your most recent report card, transcript, or letter on official school letterhead demonstrating a 3.0 GPA or 85% average.
Criminal Background Check - Individuals, 18 and older are subject to an investigative background check that may be used when considering volunteers.
Click the "EXPRESS INTEREST" button and create a volunteer profile to get started! A valid email address is required to register.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: