Age Minimum (with Adult): 14+, Minimum Age:14+
Queens Memory Volunteer 2020-21
Queens Memory is a program created in collaboration with Queens College, to collect stories and images of life in the borough. The program provides training and necessary materials for anyone to contribute interviews, photographs, and other records that we then preserve and make available to researchers.
Volunteers will be responsible for scheduling, preparing, and conducting oral history interviews with Queens residents with support from Queens Library staff. Volunteers are allowed to identify their own subjects or choose them from a waiting list of interviewees.
Duties include (but not limited to):
Obtain a signed consent form from every interviewee; prepare proper submission documentation with each interview including an accession form, a photo of the interviewee, and a timecode outline that takes approximately two hours for every hour of recorded interview. These materials will be used by future researchers and staff who access the interview for processing, preservation and research purposes.
- 14 years old and up (Minors must provide valid parental consent form and NYS working papers).
- Must be able to effectively communicate with community members. This might sometimes involve written and spoken fluency in more than one language.
- Willingness to become familiar with an equipment kit including a digital camera, audio recorder, audio editing software.
- Understanding of Queens history and geography a plus.
- Project times are flexible (exact schedule to be determined)
This position requires the following documents to be submitted during the registration process. You may upload items using these instructions (click here)
Minors must upload documents to their volunteer account as part of the application.
Individuals 18 and older are subject to an investigative background check that may be used when considering volunteers.
Click the "EXPRESS INTEREST" button and create a volunteer profile to get started! A valid email address is required to register.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: