How to Apply (Under 18)
Minors (14 and older) are welcomed to apply year-round for volunteer positions with Queens Library. New York State law mandates that youth under 14 are not allowed to volunteer unless under the direct supervision of a parent or guardian.
Follow these easy steps to begin:
Individuals, 18 and older should read the requirements for adult volunteers...here
Minors are required to obtain specific forms of paperwork before you can begin a volunteer project. You are encouraged to posses the documents before creating your volunteer account to ensure that registration is quick and easy. All forms must be submitted during the face-to-face interview. Note: Some projects do not require NYS Working Papers. Check project descriptions for any exceptions.
Required forms include (Adobe Flash must be enabled in your browser to view all documents):
- Parental Consent Form (Click to download): Minors must have signed parent/guardian forms to volunteer.
- Customer Protection & Public Awareness Form (Click to download): Required to indicate awareness of key workplace policies and procedures.
- Valid NYS Working Papers (Click to download): Working Papers are required by New York State law for both volunteer and paid employment positions. Once completed, the form may be submitted to your school office and/or guidance counselor. Afterwards, it takes 1-3 weeks to receive the final documents from your school.
Not eligible for working papers? Queens Library may opt to waive the working paper requirement for minors with international, immigrant or out-of-state status. Instead, applicants may be asked for an alternative form of student verification. However, all minors are still required to obtain parental/guardian consent to volunteer with Queens Library.
Read more about obtaining your working papers.
Individuals seeking to volunteer with Queens Library must create a Volunteer Connect account to apply for open service projects. Follow the steps below to create your account:
1. Click the "Login" box located in the upper right of the screen.
2. Click "Not a Member...Register" to open the volunteer application. Choose "Register" to proceed to the application.
3. Create your account using a valid email address and password (Must be at least 8 characters including numbers and letters).
4. Complete all fields. Required fields show an asterix*. When finished, click "Submit".
You will be able to search available projects after completing the online application. Each service descriptions contains an overview of the tasks and responsibilities, skills required and dates/times needed.
You must "Express Interest" to receive follow-up instructions, complete the application process and begin your volunteer experience.
If you have questions regarding the application process, please contact the Office of Volunteer Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.